Saturday, April 29, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - AADIVAMSHAVATARANA (UPA) PARVA - PART 59


"(Rishi) Shaunaka said, 'O son (Soota), you have narrated to me this extensive and great history starting from the child of Bhrigu. O son of Suta, I have been much gratified with you. I ask you again, to recite to me, O son of a Suta, the history composed by Vyasa (Mahabharata). The varied and wonderful narrations that were recited among those illustrious Sadasyas (members in English) assembled at the yagna (Sarpa Satra or Snake Sacrifice), in the intervals of their duties of that long-extending ceremony, and the objects also of those narrations, I desire to hear from thee, O son of a Suta! Therefore recite, all those to me fully.'

'Soota said, 'The Brahmanas, in the intervals of the duties, spoke of many things founded upon the Vedas. But Vyasa recited the wonderful and great history called the Bharata.'

"(Rishi) Shaunaka said, 'That sacred history called the Mahabharata, spreading the fame of the Pandavas, which Krishna-Dwaipayana (Rishi Vyasa), asked by Janamejaya, caused to be duly recited after the completion of the (Sarpa Satra) yagna. I desire to hear duly. That history has been born of the ocean-like mind of the great Rishi (Vyasa) of soul purified by yoga. O foremost of good men, O son of a Suta, recite it to me, for my thirst has not been satisfied by all you have said.'

'Soota said, 'I shall recite to you from the beginning of that great and excellent history called the Mahabharata composed by Vyasa. O Brahmana (Rishi Shaunaka), listen to it in full, as I recite it. I myself feel a great pleasure in reciting it.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment