Saturday, May 20, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 81


"Vaishampaayana said, 'O best of monarchs (Janamejaya), after some length of time, Devayani of the fairest complexion went into the same forest for purposes of pleasure. Accompanied by Sharmishtaa with her thousand maids she reached the same spot and began to wander freely. Waited upon by all those companions she felt extremely happy. Sporting with light hearts, they began drinking the honey in flowers, eating various kinds of fruit and biting some. Just at that time, king Yayaati, the son of Nahusha, again came there tired and thirsty, in course of his wanderings, in search of deer. The king (Yayaati) saw Devayani and Sharmishtaa, and those other ladies also, all decked with divine ornaments and full of tiredness in consequence of the flower-honey they drank. Devayani of sweet smiles, unrivalled for beauty and possessed of the fairest complexion amongst them all, was lying at her ease. She was waited upon by Sharmishtaa who was gently pressing her feet.

"Yayaati seeing all this, said, 'O friendly ones, I would ask you both your names and parentage. It seems that these two thousand maids wait on you two.' Hearing the monarch, Devayani then answered, 'Listen to me, O best of men. Know that I am the daughter of Shukra, the Asura Guru. This my companion is my waiting-maid. She attends on me wherever I go. She is Sharmishtaa, the daughter of the Asura king Vrishaparvaa.'


"Yayaati then asked, 'I am curious to know why is this your companion of fair eye-brows, this lady of the fairest complexion, the daughter of the Asura chief your waiting-maid!' 

"Devayani replied, 'O best of king, everything results from Fate. Knowing this also to be the result of Fate, do not wonder at it. Your feature and clothes are both like a king's. Your speech also is fair and correct as that of the Vedas. Tell me your name, from what place you are and whose son also.'

"The monarch (Yayaati) replied, 'During my vow of Brahmacharya, the whole Vedas entered my ears. I am known as Yayaati, a king's son and myself a king.'

"Devayani then enquired, 'O king, what have you come here for? Is it to gather lotuses or to angle or to hunt?'

"Yayati said, 'O friendly one, thirsty from the pursuit of deer, I have come here in search of water. I am very much tired. I await but your commands to leave this spot.'

"Devayani answered, 'With my two thousand ladies and my waiting-maid Sharmishtaa, I wait but your commands. Prosperity to you. You be my friend and lord.'

"Yayati, thereupon, replied, 'O beautiful one, I do not deserve you. You are the daughter of Shukra far superior to me. Your father cannot give you on a great king.'

"To this Devayani replied, 'Brahmanas had before this been united with the Kshatriyas, and Kshatriyas with Brahmanas. You are the son of a Rishi and yourself a Rishi. Therefore, O son of Nahusha, marry me.'

"Yayaati, however, replied, 'O you of the beautiful features, the four varnas have, indeed, sprung from one body. But their duties and purity are not the same, the Brahmana being truly superior to all.'

"Devayani answered, 'This hand of mine has never been touched before by any man expect you. Therefore, I do accept you for my lord. How, indeed, shall any other man touch my hand which had before been touched by yourself who are a Rishi?'

"Yayaati then said, 'The wise know that a Brahmana is more to be avoided than an angry snake of deadly poison, or a blazing fire of spreading flames.'

"Devayani then told the monarch, 'O bull amongst men, why do you, indeed, say that Brahmana should be more avoided than an angry snake of deadly poison or a blazing fire of spreading flames?'

"The monarch (Yayaati) answered, 'The snake kills only one. The sharpest weapon slays but a single person. The Brahmana, when angry destroys whole cities and kingdoms! Therefore, O frightened one, do I consider a Brahmana as more to be avoided than either. I cannot hence wed you, O friendly one, unless your father gifts you on me.'

"Devayani then said, 'You are, indeed, chosen by me. O king, it is understood that you will accept me if my father give me on you. You need not fear to accept my poor self bestowed on you. You do not, indeed, ask for me.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'After this, Devayani quickly sent a maidservant to her father. The maid told to Shukra everything as it had happened. As soon as he had heard all, Bhargava (Shukra) came and saw Yayaati. Looking Bhargava come, Yayaati worshipped and adored that Brahmana, and stood with joined palms in expectation of his commands.'

"Devayani then said, 'O father, this is the son of Nahusha. He took hold of my hand, when I was in distress. I bow to you. Grant me upon him. I shall not wed any other person in the world.' 

"Shukra exclaimed, 'O you of splendid courage, you have, indeed, been accepted as her lord by this my dear daughter. I give her on you. Therefore, O son of Nahusha, accept her as your wife.'

"Yayaati then said, 'I solicit the boon, O Brahmana, that by doing so, the sin of fathering a half-breed might not touch me.'

"Shukra, however, assured him by saying, 'I shall discharge you from the sin. You Ask the boon that you desire. Do not fear to wed her. I grant you forgiveness. Maintain your wife as per Dharma--the slender-waisted Devayani. Transports of happiness be yours in her company. This other lady, Vrishaparvaa's daughter, Sharmishtaa should ever be regarded by you. But you shall not summon her to your bed.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Thus addressed by Shukra, Yayaati then walked round the Brahmana. The king then went through the auspicious ceremony of marriage according to the rites of Shastras. Having received from Shukra this rich treasure of the excellent Devayani with Sharmishtaa and those two thousand maidens, and duly honoured also by Shukra himself and the Asuras, the best of monarchs, then, commanded by the high-souled Bhargava, returned to his capital with a joyous heart.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment