Saturday, May 20, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 77


"Vaishampaayana said, 'After the expiry of the period of his vow (Vrata in Sanskrit), Kacha, having obtained his Guru's (Shukra's) leave, was about to return to Devaloka, when Devayani, addressing him, said, 'O grandson of the Rishi Angiras, in conduct and birth, in learning, pooja and humility, you shine most brightly. As the celebrated Rishi Angiras is honoured and regarded by my father, so is your father (Deva Guru Brihaspathi) regarded and worshipped by me. O you of wealth of Tapas, knowing this, listen to what I say. Recollect my behaviour towards you during the period of your vow (Brahmacharya Vrata). Your vow has now been over. It is your duty to fix yours affections on me. O accept my hand duly with ordained mantras.'

"Kacha replied, 'You are to me an object of regard and worship as your father (Asura Guru Shukra)! O you of faultless features, you are, indeed, an object of greater respect! O friendly one, you are dearer than life to the high-souled Bhargava (Shukra)! As the daughter of my Guru, you are ever worthy of my worship! As my Guru Shukra, your father, is ever deserving of my regards, so are you, O Devayani! Therefore, it is your duty not to say so.'

"Hearing this, Devayani replied, 'You, too, are the son of my father's Guru's son. Therefore, O best of Brahmanas, you are deserving of my regards and worship. O Kacha, when you were slain so many times by the Asuras, recollect today the affection I showed for you. O the one of Dharma (Kacha), remembering my friendship and affection for you, and, also indeed my devoted regard it is your duty not to abandon me without any fault. I am truly devoted to you.'

"Hearing all this, Kacha said, 'O you of good vows (Shubha Vrata in Sanskrit), do not urge me into such a sinful course. O you of fair eye-brows, be gracious to me. Beautiful one, you are to me an object of greater regard than my Guru. O large-eyed one, full of resolves of Dharma, of face as beautiful as moon, the place where you had resided, viz., the body of Kavya (Shukra), has also been my abode. You are truly my sister. Friendly one, happily have we passed the days that we have been together. There is perfect good understanding between us. I ask your leave to return to my abode. Therefore, bless me so that my journey may be safe. I must be remembered by you, when you recall me in connection with topics of conversation, as one that has not crossed Dharma. Always attend upon my Guru with readiness and singleness of heart.'

"To all this, Devayani answered, 'Asked by me, if, indeed, you truly refuse to make me your wife, then, O Kacha, this your knowledge shall not bear fruit.'


"Hearing this, Kacha said, 'I have refused your request only because you are the daughter of my Guru, and not because you have any fault. Nor has my Guru in this respect issued any command. Curse me if it pleases you. I have told you what the behaviour should be of a Rishi. I do not deserve your curse, O Devayani. But yet you have cursed me! You have acted under the influence of Kaamaa and not from a sense of duty. Therefore, your desire will not be fulfilled. No Rishi's son shall ever accept your hand in marriage. You have said that my knowledge shall not bear fruit. Let it be so. But in respect of him, it (the knowledge) shall bear fruit to whom I may impart it.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'That first of Brahmanas, Kacha, having said so to Devayani speedily walked his way to the abode of the chief of Devas (Lord Indra). Seeing him arrived, Devas with (Lord) Indra ahead, having first worshipped him, spoke to him (Kacha) as follows, 'You have indeed, performed an act of great benefit for us. Wonderful has been your achievement! Your fame shall never die! You shall be a sharer with us in offerings of yagna.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment