Saturday, May 20, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 84


"Vaishampaayana said, 'Yayaati, then, overcome with old age, returned to his capital and summoning his eldest son Yadu who was also the most accomplished, addressed him thus, 'Dear child, from the curse of Kavya (Shukra) called also Ushanas, old age, wrinkles and whiteness of hair have come over me. But I have not been satisfied yet with the enjoyment of youth. You do, O Yadu, take this my weakness along with my old age. I shall enjoy with your youth. When a full thousand years will have elapsed, returning to you your youth, I shall take back my weakness with this old age!'

"Yadu replied, 'There are innumerable inconveniences in old age, in respect of drinking and eating. Therefore, O king, I shall not take your old age. This is, indeed, my determination. White hair on the head, cheerlessness and relaxation of the nerves, wrinkles all over the body, deformities, weakness of bodyparts, thinness, incapacity to work, defeat at the hands of friends and companions--these are the consequences of old age. Therefore, O king, I desire not to take it. O king, you have many sons some of whom are dearer to you. You are acquainted with the rule of Dharma. Ask some other son of yours to take your old age.

"Yayaati replied, 'You are sprung from my heart, O son, but you give me not your youth. Therefore, your children shall never be kings.'

"He (Yayaati) continued, addressing another son of his, 'O Turvasu, you take this weakness of mine along with my old age. With your youth, O son, I like to enjoy the pleasure of life. After the lapse of a full thousand years I shall give back to you your youth, and take back from you my weakness and old age.'

"Turvasu replied, 'I do not like old age, O father, it takes away all appetites and enjoyments, strength and beauty of person, intellect, and even life.'

"Yayati said to him, 'Thou art sprung from my heart, O son! But you give me not your youth! Therefore, O Turvasu, your race shall be extinct. Wretch, you shall be the king of those whose practices and rules are impure, amongst whom men of inferior blood procreate children upon women of blue blood, who live on meat, who are mean, who hesitate not to appropriate the wives of their superiors, whose practices are those of birds and animals, who are sinful, and non-noble.'

"Vaishampaayana said, 'Yayaati, having thus cursed his son Turvasu, then, addressed Sharmishtaa's son Drahyu thus, 'O Drahyu, you take for a thousand years my old age destructive of complexion and personal beauty and give me your youth. When a thousand years have passed away, I shall return you your youth and take back my own weakness, and old age.' 

"To this Drahyu replied, 'O king, one that is old can never enjoy elephants, chariots, horses and women. His voice becomes hoarse. Therefore, I do not desire (to take) your old age.'


"Yayati said to him, 'You are sprung from my heart, O son! But you refuse to give me your youth. Therefore, your most cherished desires shall never be fulfilled. You shall be king only in name, of that region where there are no roads for (the passage of) horses, chariots, elephants, good vehicles, donkeys, goats and bullocks, and palanquins; where there is swimming only by rafts and floats.'

"Yayaati next addressed Anu and said, 'O Anu, take my weakness and old age. I shall with your youth enjoy the pleasures of life for a thousand years.' 

"To this Anu replied, 'Those that are old always eat like children and are always impure. They cannot pour libations upon Agni (the Fire God) in proper times. Therefore, I do not like to take your old age.'

"Yayaati said to him, 'You are sprung from my heart, you give not your youth. You find so many faults in old age. Therefore, old age shall overcome you! O Anu, your children also as soon as they attain to youth, shall die. You shall also not be able to perform yagnas before fire.'

"Yayaati at last turned to his youngest child, Pooru, and addressing him said, 'You are, O Puru, my youngest son! But you shall be the first of all! Oldness, wrinkles, and whiteness of hair have come over me in consequence of the curse of Kavya (Shukra) called also Ushanas. I have not yet however, been satisfied with my youth. O Pooru, you take this my weakness and oldness! With your youth I shall enjoy for some years the pleasures of life. When a thousand years have passed away, I shall give back to you your youth and take back my own oldness.'

"Vaishampaayana said, 'Thus addressed by the king, Pooru answered with humility, 'I shall do, O monarch, as you bid me. I shall take, O king, your weakness and oldness. You take my youth and enjoy as you wish the pleasures of life. Covered with your oldness and becoming old, I shall, as you command, continue to live, giving you my youth.'

"Yayati then said, 'O Pooru, I have been pleased with you. Being pleased, I tell you that the people in your kingdom shall have all their desires fulfilled.'

"Having said this, the great Rishi Yayaati, then thinking of Kavya (Shukra), transferred his old age to the body of the high-souled Pooru.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment