Saturday, May 20, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 80


"Vaishampaayana said, 'Then Kavya (Asura Guru Shukra), the foremost of Bhrigu's line, became angry himself. Approaching Vrishaparvaa where the latter was seated, began to address him without weighing his words, he said, 'O king, sinful acts do not, like the Earth, bear fruit immediately! But gradually and secretly do they destroy their doers. Such fruit visits either in one's own self, one's son, or one's grandson. Sins must bear their fruit. Like rich food they can never be digested. Because you killed the Brahmana Kacha, the grandson of Angiras, who was virtuous, familiar with the rule of Dharma, and attentive to his duties, while residing in my home, for this act of slaughter (of Kacha) and for the mal-treatment of my daughter too, know, O Vrishaparvaa, I shall leave you and your relatives! Indeed, O king, for this, I can no longer stay with you! Do you, O Asura chief (Vrishaparvaa), think that I am an irrational liar? You make light of your offence without seeking to correct it!'.

"Vrishaparvaa then said, 'O son of Bhrigu (Shukra), never have I attributed want of Adharma, of falsehood, to you. Indeed, Dharma and Satya ever dwell in you. Be kind to me! O Bhargava, if, leaving us, you really go hence, we shall then go into the depths of the ocean. Indeed, there is nothing else for us to do.'

"Shukra then replied, 'O Asuras, whether you go into the depths of the ocean or fly away to all directions, I care little. I am unable to bear my daughter's grief. My daughter is ever dear to me. My life depends on her. You seek to please her. As Brihaspati ever seeks the good of (Lord) Indra, so do I always seek your by my merits of Tapas.'

"Vrishaparvaa then said, 'O Bhargava (Shukra), you are the absolute master of whatever is possessed by the Asura chiefs in this world - their elephants, cows and horses, and even my humble self!'

"Shukra then answered, 'If it is true, O great Asura, that I am the lord of all the wealth of the Asuras, then go and please Devayani.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'When the great Kavya (Shukra) was so addressed by Vrishaparvaa, he then went to Devayani and told her all. Devayani, however, quickly replied, 'O Bhargava (Shukra), if you are truly the lord of the Asura king himself and of all his wealth, then let the king himself come to me and say so in my presence.'

"Vrishaparvaa then approached Devayani and told her, 'O Devayani of sweet smiles, whatever you desire I am willing to give you, however difficult it may be to grant the same.'

"Devayani answered, 'I desire Sharmishta with a thousand maids to wait on me! She must also follow me to where my father may give me away.'

"Vrishaparvaa then commanded a maid-servant in attendance on him, saying, 'Go and quickly bring Sharmishtaa here. Let her also accomplish what Devayani wishes.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'The maid-servant then travelled to Sharmishtaa and told her, 'O friendly Sharmishtaa, rise and follow me. Accomplish the good of your relatives. Urged by Devayani, the Brahmana (Shukra) is on the point of leaving his disciples (the Asuras). O sinless one, you must do what Devayani wishes.'

"Sharmishtaa replied, 'I shall cheerfully do what Devayani wishes. Urged by Devayani Shukra is calling me. Both Shukra and Devayani must not leave the Asuras through my fault.'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'Commanded by her father, then, Sharmishtaa, accompanied by a thousand maidens, soon came, in a palanquin, out of her father's excellent mansion. Approaching Devayani she said, 'With my thousand maids, I am your waiting-maid! I shall follow you where your father may give you away.'

"Devayani replied, 'I am the daughter of one who chants the praises of your father, and who begs and accepts alms; you, on the other hand, are the daughter of one who is adored. How can you be my waiting-maid?'

"Sharmishtaa answered, 'One must by all means contribute to the happiness of one's pained relatives. Therefore shall I follow thee wherever thy father may give thee away.'


"Vaishampaayana continued, 'O king (Janamejaya), when Sharmishtaa thus promised to be Devayani's waiting-maid, the latter then spoke to her father thus, 'O best of all excellent Brahmanas (Shukra), I am pleased. I shall now enter the Asura capital! I now know that your science and power of knowledge are not fruitless!'

"Vaishampaayana continued, 'That best of Brahmanas, of great reputation, thus addressed by his daughter, then, entered the Asura capital in the gladness of his heart. The Danavas worshipped him (Shukra) with great respect.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment