Monday, June 5, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 116


“Janamejaya said, ‘O sinless one (Rishi Vaishampaayana), you have narrated to me from the beginning all about the birth of Dhritarashtra's hundred sons owing to the boon granted by the Rishi (Vyasa). But you have not told me as yet any particulars about the birth of the daughter. You have merely said that over and above the hundred sons, there was another son named Yuyutsu begotten upon a Vaishya woman, and a daughter. The Maharishi Vyasa of immeasurable energy said to the daughter of the king of Gandhara (Gandhari) that she would become the mother of a hundred sons. O Illustrious one (Rishi Vaishampaayana), how is that you say Gandhari had a daughter over and above her hundred sons? If the ball of flesh was distributed by the Mahrishi only into a hundred parts, and if Gandhari did not conceive on any other occasion, how was then Duhshala born. Tell me this, O Rishi (Vaishampaayana)! my curiosity has been great.”

“Vaishampaayana said, ‘O descendant of the Pandavas (Janamejaya), your question is perfect, and I will tell you how it happened. The illustrious and Maharishi himself, by sprinkling water over that ball of flesh, began to divide it into parts. As it was being divided into parts, the nurse began to take them up and put them one by one into those pots filled with clarified butter. While this process was going on, the beautiful and chaste (Patni in Sanskrit) Gandhari of rigid vows (Vrata in Sanskrit), realising the affection that one feels for a daughter, began to think within herself, ‘There is no doubt that I shall have a hundred sons, the Muni (Vyasa) having said so. It can never be otherwise. But I should be very happy if a daughter were born of me over and above these hundred sons and junior to them all. My husband then may attain to those worlds that the possession of a daughter's sons gives out. Then again, the affection the women feel for their sons-in-law is great. If, therefore, I obtain a daughter over and above my hundred sons, then, surrounded by sons and daughter's sons, I may feel supremely blessed. If I have always practised severe Tapas, if I have ever given anything in charity, if I have ever performed the homa, if I have ever pleased my superiors by respectful attentions, then (as the fruit of those acts) let a daughter be born to me.’


“All this while that illustrious and best of Rishis, Krishna-Dwaipayana (Maharishi Vyasa) himself was dividing the ball of flesh; and counting a full hundred of the parts, he said to the daughter of Subala (Gandhari), ‘Here are your hundred sons. I did not speak anything to you that was false. Here, however, is one part in excess of the hundred, intended for giving you a daughter's son. This part shall develop into a friendly and fortunate daughter, as you have desired.’

“Then that Maharishi brought another pot full of clarified butter, and put the part intended for a daughter into it.


“Thus have I, O Bharata (Janamejaya), narrated to you all about the birth of Duhshala. Tell me, O sinless one (Janamejaya), what more I am now to narrate.’” 

No comments:

Post a Comment