Thursday, July 13, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - SAMBHAVA (UPA) PARVA - PART 125


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Looking his five handsome sons growing up before him in that great forest on the charming mountain slope, Pandu felt the last might of his arms revive once more. One day in the season of spring which maddens every creature the king (Pandu) accompanied by his wife (Maadri), began to roam in the forest where every tree had put forth new blossoms. He saw all around Palasha, Tilaka, Mangoes, Champaka, Paaribhadraka, Karnikara, Ashoka, Keshara, Atimukta, and Kuruvaka with swarms of maddened bees sweetly humming about. There were flowers of blossoming Paarijata with the Kokilas pouring forth their melodies from under every branch echoing with the sweet hums of the black bees. He (Pandu) saw also various other kinds of trees bent down with the weight of their flowers and fruits. There were also many fine pools of water overgrown with hundreds of fragrant lotuses. Seeing all these, Pandu felt the soft influence of kaamaa. Roaming like a Deva with a light heart amidst such scenery, Pandu was alone with his wife Maadri in semi-transparent dress. Seeing the youthful Maadri thus dressed, the king's kaamaa flamed up like a forest-fire. Unable to suppress his kaamaa thus kindled at the sight of his wife of eyes like lotus-petals, he was completely overpowered. The king (Pandu) then seized her against her will, but Maadri trembling in fear resisted him to the best of her might. Consumed by kaamaa, he forgot everything about his misfortune. O you of Kuru's race (Janamejaya), uncontrolled by the fear of (the Rishi's) curse and driven by fate, the monarch (Pandu) overpowered by kaamaa, forcibly sought the embraces of Maadri, as if he wished to put an end to his own life. His reason, thus attracted by the great Destroyer himself by intoxicating his senses, was itself lost with his life. The Kuru king Pandu, of Dharmaatma, thus surrendered to the inevitable influence of Time, while united in intercourse with his wife.

“Then Maadri, grasping the body of her senseless lord, began to weep aloud. Kunti with her sons and the twins of Maadri, hearing those cries of grief, came to the spot where the king lay in that state. O king (Janamejaya), then Maadri addressing Kunti in a piteous voice, said, ‘Come here alone, O Kunti, and let the children stay there.’

“Hearing these words, Kunti, commanding the children stay, ran with speed, exclaiming, ‘Woe to me!’ Seeing both Pandu and Madri lying flat on the ground she went in grief and pain, saying, ‘Of passions under complete control, this hero, O Maadri, had all along been watched by me with care. How did he then forgetting the Rishi's curse, approach you with enkindled kaamaa? O Maadri, this foremost of men, should have been protected by you. Why did you tempt him into isolation? Always sad at the thought of the Rishi's curse, how came he to be merry with you in isolation? O princess of Balhika (Maadri), more fortunate than myself, you are really to be envied, for you have seen the face of our lord covered with gladness and joy.’

“Madri then replied, saying, ‘Respected sister, with tears in my eyes, I resisted the king, but he could not control himself, bent on, as it were making the Rishi's curse true.’

“Kunti then said, ‘I am the older of his wedded wives; the chief merit of Dharma must be mine. Therefore, O Maadri, prevent me not from achieving that which must be achieved. I must follow our lord to the Yamaloka. Rise up, O Maadri, and give me his body. You bring up these children.’

“Madri replied, saying, ‘I do grasp our lord even now, and have not allowed him to depart; therefore, I shall follow him. My appetite has not been appeased. You are my older sister, O let me have your sanction. This foremost one of the Bharata princes had approached me, desiring to have intercourse. His appetite unsatisfied, shall I not follow him in the Yamaloka to satisfy him? O respected one, if I survive you, it is certain I shall not be able to bring up your children as if they were mine. Will not sin touch me on that account? But, you, O Kunti, shall be able to bring my sons up as if they were yours. The king, in seeking me wishfully, has gone to the Pitruloka; therefore, my body should be burnt with his. O respected sister, do not withhold your sanction to this which is agreeable to me. You will certainly bring up the children carefully. That indeed, would be very agreeable to me. I have no other direction to give!’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Having said this, the daughter of the king of Madra (Maadri), the wedded wife of Pandu, ascended the funeral pyre of her lord, that bull among men.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment