Friday, September 15, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - CHAITRARATHA (UPA) PARVA - PART 182


“The Gandharva said, ‘(Rishi) Vasishtha after this, continued the narration saying, ‘O child (Rishi Paraashara), hearing these words of the Pitris, (Rishi) Aurva replied to them to this effect:

‘O Pitris, the vow (Pratignya in Sanskrit) I have made from anger for the destruction of all the worlds, must not go in vain. I cannot consent to be one whose anger and vows (Pratignya in Sanskrit) are fruitless. Like fire consuming dry woods, this anger of mine will certainly consume me if I do not accomplish my vow. The man that suppresses his anger that has been excited by (a proper) cause, becomes incapable of duly completing the three ends of life (viz., Dharma, Arthaa and Kaamaa). The anger that kings desirous of subjugating the whole earth exhibit, is not without its uses. It serves to control the wicked and to protect the honest. While lying unborn within my mother’s thigh, I heard the sorrowful cries of my mother and other women of the Bhrigu race who were then being killed by the Kshatriyas. O Pitris (ancestors in English), when those wretches of Kshatriyas began to destroy the Bhrigus together with unborn children of their race, it was then that angry filled my soul. My mother and the other women of our race, each in an advanced state of pregnancy, and my father, while terribly alarmed, did not find in all the worlds a single protector. Then when the Bhrigu women did not found a single protector, my mother held me in one of her thighs. If there be a punisher of crimes in the worlds no one in all the worlds would dare commit a crime; if he finds not a punisher, the number of sinners becomes large. The man who having the power to prevent or punish sin does not do so knowing that a sin has been committed, is himself infected by that sin. When kings and others, capable of protecting my fathers, did not protect them, postponing that duty preferring the pleasures of life, I have proper cause to be enraged with them. I am the lord of the creation, capable of punishing its wickedness. I am incapable of obeying your command. Capable of punishing this crime, if I abstain from so doing, men will once more have to undergo a similar oppression. The fire of my anger too that is ready to consume the worlds, if repressed, will certainly consume by its own energy my own self. O masters (Pitris), I know that you ever seek the good of the worlds: direct me, therefore, as to what may benefit both myself and the worlds.’

(Rishi) Vasishtha continued, ‘O (Paraashara), the Pitris replied saying throw this fire that is born of your anger and that desires to consume the worlds, into the waters. That will do you good. The worlds, indeed, are all dependent on water (as their elementary cause). Every juicy substance contains water, indeed the whole universe is made of water. Therefore, O you best of Brahmanas (Rishi Aurva), you throw this fire of your anger into the waters. O Brahmana (Rishi Aurva), if, therefore, you desire it let this fire born of your anger remain in the great ocean, consuming the waters thereof, for it has been said that the worlds are made of water. In this way, O you sinless one, your word will be rendered true, and the worlds with the Devas will not be destroyed.’


(Rishi) Vasishtha continued, ‘O child (Paraashara), then (Rishi) Aurva put the fire of his anger into the abode of Varuna (the Ocean). That fire which consumes the waters of the great ocean, became like to a large horse’s head which persons knowledgeable with the Vedas call by the name of Vadaavamukha (Vadavamukha meaning Horse-faced) (Vadavamukha actually indicates the subterranean fire present under the ocean). Emitting itself from that mouth it consumes the waters of the mighty ocean. Blessed be you (Paraashara)! , therefore, it is your responsibility to destroy the worlds. O you Paraashara, who are acquainted with the higher regions, you foremost of wise men!’”



No comments:

Post a Comment