Friday, October 27, 2017

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - AADI PARVA - KHANDAVA DAAHA (UPA) PARVA - PART 236


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Mandapaala then addressed his children, saying, ‘I had spoken to Agni for the safety of you all. The illustrious deity had assured me that he would grant my wish. At those words of Agni, and knowing the Dharmic character of your mother, as also the great energy that is in yourselves, I came not here earlier. Therefore, O sons, do not harbour in your hearts any resentment towards me. You are all Rishis familiar with the Vedas. Even Agni knows you well.’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Having given such assurances to his sons, the Brahmana Mandapaala took with him his wife and sons, and leaving that region, went away to some other country.

“It was thus that the illustrious god of fierce rays (Agni), having grown in strength consumed the forest of Khandava with the help of (Sri) Krishna and Arjuna, for the good of the world. Agni having drunk several rivers of fat and marrow, became highly satisfied, and showed himself to Arjuna. Then Purandara (Lord Indra), surrounded by the Maruts, descended from the sky and addressing Paartha (Arjuna) and Keshava (Sri Krishna) said, ‘You have achieved a feat that even a Deva could not. You ask each a boon that is not obtainable by any man. I have been satisfied with you.’


“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Then Paartha (Arjuna) asked from (Lord) Indra all his weapons. At this Shakra (Lord Indra) of great splendour, having fixed the time for giving them, said, ‘When the illustrious Maadhava (Sri Krishna) becomes pleased with you, then, O Pandava (Arjuna), I will give you all my weapons! O prince of Kuru’s race (Arjuna), I shall know when the time comes. For your severe Tapas, I will give you all my weapons of fire and all my Vaayavya weapons, and you also wil; accept them all of me.’

“Then Vaasudeva (Sri Krishna) asked that his friendship with Arjuna might be eternal. The chief of Devas (Lord Indra) granted to the intelligent (Sri) Krishna the boon he desired. Having granted these boons to (Sri) Krishna and Arjuna, the lord of the Maruts (Lord Indra), accompanied by Devas, ascended to heaven, having also spoken to Hutaashana (one whose food is sacrificial butter). Agni also, having burnt that forest with its animals and birds for fifteen days, became satisfied and ceased to burn. Having eaten flesh in abundance and drunk fat and blood, he became highly pleased, and addressing Achyuta (Sri Krishna) and Arjuna said, ‘I have been satisfied by you two tigers among men. At my command, O heroes, you shall be competent to go wheresoever you choose!’



“Thus addressed by the illustrious Agni, Arjuna, Vaasudeva (Sri Krishna) and the Danava Maya also -- these three -- having wandered a little at last sat themselves down on the delightful banks of a river.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment