Saturday, January 6, 2018

JARAA: THE GRUHADEVI

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA - SABHA PARVA - RAAJASOOYA AARAMBHA (UPA) PARVA - CHAPTER 18 - JARAA: THE GRUHADEVI


“Raakshasi answered, ‘Blessed be you, O king of kings (Brihadratha). Capable of assuming any form at will, I am a Raakshasi called Jaraa. I am living, O king, happily in your house, worshipped by all. Every day I wander from house to house of men. Indeed, I was created in the ancient times by the Self-create (Swayambu in Sanskrit) and was named Gruhadevi (the household goddess). Of divine beauty I was placed (in the world) for the destruction of the Daanavaas. He that with devotion paints on the walls (of his house) a likeness of myself endued with youth and in the middle of children, must have prosperity in his abode; otherwise, a household must sustain decay and destruction. O lord, painted on the walls of your house is a likeness of myself surrounded by numerous children. Stationed there, I am daily worshipped with scents and flowers, with incense, edibles and various objects of enjoyment. Thus, worshipped in your house, I daily think of doing you some good in return. It chanced, O Dhaarmika (Brihadratha), that I saw the fragmentary bodies of your son. When these happened to be united by me, a living child was formed of them. O great king, it hath been so owing to thy good fortune alone. I have been only the instrument, I am capable of swallowing the mountain of Meru itself, what shall I say of the child? I have, however, been pleased with you in consequence of the worship I receive in your house. It is, therefore, O king, that I have given this child on you.’

(Sri) Krishna continued, ‘Having spoken these words, O king (Yudhishthira), Jaraa disappeared there and then. The king (Brihadratha) having obtained the child then entered the palace. The king then caused all the rites of babyhood to be performed on that child, and ordered a festival (Mahotsava in Sanskrit) to be observed by his people in Honour of that Raakshasi. The monarch equal to Pitamaha (Lord Brahma) Himself then gave a name on his child. He said that because the child had been united by Jaraa, he should be called Jaraasandha (meaning united by Jaraa). The son of the king of Magadha filled with great energy (Maha Teja in Sanskrit), began to grow up in bulk and strength like a fire into which hath been poured libation of clarified butter. Increasing day by day like the moon in the bright fortnight, the child began to enhance the joy of his parents.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment