Thursday, February 15, 2018

THE COMMAND OF DHRITARASHTRA

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > SABHA PARVA > DYOOTA PARVA > CHAPTER 56 - THE COMMAND OF DHRITARASHTRA


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘King Dhritarashtra, discovering the inclinations of his son (Duryodhana) and knowing that Fate is inevitable, did what I have said. Vidura, however, that foremost of intelligent men, did not approve his brother’s (Dhritarashtra’s) words and spoke thus, ‘O king (Dhritarashtra), I approve not of this command of yours. Do not act so. I fear, this will bring about the destruction of our race (Kula in Sanskrit). When your sons lose their unity, conflict will certainly develop among them. This I recognise, O king (Dhritarashtra), from this match at dice.’

“Dhritarashtra said, ‘If Fate be not hostile, this quarrel (Kalaham in Sanskrit) will not certainly grieve me. The whole universe moves at the will of its Creator, under the controlling influence of Fate. It is not free. Therefore, O Vidura, going to king Yudhishthira at my command (Shaasanam in Sanskrit), you bring soon that invincible son of Kunti – Yudhishthira.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment