Tuesday, March 27, 2018

11(A). KIRMEERA ENCOUNTERS PAANDAVAAS

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > KIRMEERA VADHA PARVA > CHAPTER 11(A) - KIRMEERA ENCOUNTERS PAANDAVAAS


“Dhritarashtra said, ‘O Kshatta (Vidura), I am desirous to hear of the destruction of Kirmeera! You do tell me how the encounter took place between the Rakshasaa and Bhimasena!’

“Vidura said, ‘Listen to the story of that feat (Karma in Sanskrit) of Bhimasena of super human achievements! I have often heard of it in course of my conversation with the Paandavaas (while I was with them).

“O foremost of kings (Rajendra in Sanskrit), defeated at dice the Paandavaas departed from here and travelling for three days and nights they at length reached the forest that is known by the name of Kaamyaka. O king (Dhritarashtra), just after the dreadful hour of midnight when all nature is asleep, when man-eating Rakshasaas of terrible actions begin to wander, the Tapaswis, the cowherds and other travellers of the forest used to avoid the Kaamyaka forest and fly to a distance from fear of man-eaters. O Bharata (Dhritarashtra), as the Paandavaas were at this hour entering that forest a fearful Rakshasa of flaming eyes (Deeptaaksham in Sanskrit) appeared before them with a lighted wood, obstructing their path. With outstretched arms and terrible face, he stood obstructing the way on which those preservers of the Kuru race were proceeding. With eight teeth standing out, with eyes of coppery colour, and with the hair of his head blazing and standing erect, the Rakshasa looked like a mass of clouds reflecting the rays of the Sun or mingled with lightning flashes and graced with flocks of cranes underneath on their wings.

“Uttering frightful yells and roaring like a mass of clouds charged with rain, the Rakshasa began to spread the illusion (Maayaa in Sanskrit) proper to his species. Hearing that terrible roar, birds along with other creatures that live on land or in water, began to drop down in all directions, uttering cries of fear. In consequence of the deer, the leopards, the buffaloes and the bears flying about in all directions, it seemed as if the forest itself was in motion. Moved by the wind raised by the sighs of the Rakshasa, creepers growing at a great distance seemed to embrace the trees with their arms of coppery leaves (may be the leaves were burning). At that moment, a violent wind began to blow, and the sky became darkened with the dust that covered it. Just as grief is the greatest enemy of the object of the five senses, that unknown enemy of Paandavaas appeared before them.

“Seeing the Paandavaas from a distance dressed in black deer-skins, the Rakshasa obstructed their passage through the forest like the Mainaaka mountain. At the sight of him never seen before the lotus-eyed Krishna (Draupadi), agitated with fear, closed her eyes. She whose (hair) braids had been disordered by the hand of Duhshaasana, stationed in the middle of the five Paandavaas, looked like a (water) stream passing amid five hills. Seeing her overwhelmed with fear the five Paandavaas supported her as the five senses influenced by desire adhere to the pleasures relating to their objects. Dhaumya of great (Tapas) energy, in the presence of Paandavaas, destroyed the fearful illusion (Maayaa in Sanskrit) that had been spread by the Rakshasa, by applying various mantras, intended to destroy the Rakshasa.

“Seeing his illusion dispelled, the mighty Rakshasa of crooked ways, capable of assuming any form at will, expanded his eyes in angry and seemed like death himself. Then king Yudhishthira, filled with great wisdom (Deergha Pragnaa in Sanskrit), addressed him saying, ‘Who are you, and whose (son)? Tell us what we should do for you.’

“The Rakshasa thus addressed, answered Dharmaraja Yudhishthira, saying, ‘I am the brother of Baka, the celebrated Kirmeera. I live at ease in this deserted Kaamyaka forest, daily procuring my food by defeating men in fight. Who are you that have come near me in the shape of my food? Defeating you all in fight, I will eat you with pleasure.’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘O Bharata (Janamejaya), hearing these words of the wretch (Duraatmana in Sanskrit), Yudhishthira announced his own name and lineage (Gotra in Sanskrit), saying, ‘I am Dharmaraja Yudhishthira, the Paandava, of whom you may have heard. Deprived of my kingdom, I have with my brothers Bhimasena, Arjuna and the others, in course of my wanderings, come into this terrible forest which is your dominion, desirous of passing my period of exile here!’

“Vidura continued, ‘Kirmeera said to Yudhishthira, ‘By good luck it is that fate has accomplished today my long-accomplished desire! With weapons upraised, I have been continually travelling the entire earth with the object of slaying Bhima. But I had found not Bhima. By good luck it is that slayer of my brother (Baka), whom I had been seeking so long, has come before me (Refer to Aadi Parva > Baka Vadha Parva > Chapter 165)! It was he who in the disguise of a Brahmana slew my dear brother Baka in the Vetrakeeya house (possibly meaning Vetrakeeya forest) by virtue of his knowledge (Vidyaabalam in Sanskrit). He has truly no strength of arms! It is also this one of wicked soul (Duraatmana in Sanskrit) who formerly slew my dear friend Hidimba, living in this forest and ravished his sister (Refer to Aadi Parva > Hidimba Vadha Parva > Chapter Chapter 156)! That fool (Bhimasena) has now come into this deep forest of mine, when the night is half spent, at the time when we (Rakshasas) wander about! Today, I will unleash my long-cherished vengeance upon him, and I will today gratify (Tarpanam in Sanskrit) Baka with his blood in plenty! By slaying this enemy of the Rakshasas, I shall today be freed from the debt I owe to my friend and my brother, and thereby attain supreme happiness! If Bhimasena was let free formerly by Baka, today, I will eat him in your sight, O Yudhishthira! Just as (Rishi) Agastya ate up and digested the mighty Asura (Vaataapi), I will eat up and digest this Vrikodara (Bhima)!’

No comments:

Post a Comment