Sunday, March 25, 2018

9. CONVERSATION BETWEEN LORD INDRA AND SURABHI

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > AARANYAKA PARVA > CHAPTER 9 - CONVERSATION BETWEEN LORD INDRA AND SURABHI


“Dhritarashtra said, ‘O holy one (Bhagawan in Sanskrit), I did not like this event of gambling, but, O Muni, I think, I was made to accept to it drawn by fate! Neither Bhishma, nor Drona, nor Vidura, nor Gaandhaari liked this game at dice. No doubt, it was brought of foolishness. O you who delight in the observance of vows (Vrata in Sanskrit), O illustrious one, knowing everything yet influenced by paternal affection, I am unable to cast off my senseless son, Duryodhana!’

“Vyaasa said, ‘O king (Dhritarashtra), O son of Vichitraveerya, what you say is true! We know it well that a son is the best of all things and that there is nothing that is so good as a son. Instructed by the tears of Surabhi, (Lord) Indra came to know that the son surpasses in worth other valuable possessions. O monarch (Dhritarashtra), I will, in this connection, narrate to you that excellent and best of stories, the conversation between (Lord) Indra and Surabhi.

“In ancient days, Surabhi, the mother of cows was once weeping in the celestial regions (Swarga in Sanskrit). O child (Dhritarashtra), (Lord) Indra took compassion upon her, and asked her, saying, ‘O auspicious one (Shubha in Sanskrit)! why do you weep? Is everything well with Devas? Has any misfortune, ever so little, come upon the world of men or cows?’

“Surabhi replied, ‘No evil has overtaken You that I perceive. But I am pained on account of my son, and it is therefore, O Kaushika, that I weep! Look there, O chief of Devas, cruel farmer is hitting my weak son with the wooden stick and oppressing him with the (weight of the) plough, in consequence of which my child agitated with pain is falling upon the ground and is at the point of death. At sight of this, O lord of Devas (Lord Indra), I am filled with sympathy, and my mind is disturbed! The one that is the stronger of the pair is bearing his burden of greater weight (with ease), but, O Vaasava (Lord Indra), the other is lean, weak and is a mass of veins and arteries! He bears his burden with difficulty! It is for him that I grieve. See, O Vaasava, hurt inflicted with the whip, and harassed exceedingly, he is unable to bear his burden. It is for him that, moved by grief, I weep in heaviness of heart and these tears of sympathy trickle down my eyes!’

“Shakra (Lord Indra) said, ‘O fair one, when thousands of your sons are (daily) oppressed, why do you grieve for one under pain?’

“Surabhi replied, ‘Although I have a thousand offspring, yet my affections flow equally towards all! But, O Shakra (Lord Indra), I feel greater compassion for one that is weak and innocent!’

“Vyaasa continued, ‘Then (Lord) Indra having heard these words of Surabhi, was much surprised, and O you of the Kuru race (Dhritarashtra), he became convinced that a son is dearer than one’s life! The illustrious punisher of Paka (Paakashaasa in Sanskrit) immediately suddenly poured there a thick (rain) shower and caused obstruction to the farmer’s work. As Surabhi said, your affection, O king (Dhritarashtra), equally flow towards all your sons. Let them be greater towards those that are weak! As my son Paandu is to me, so are you, O son, and so also Vidura of profound wisdom (Maha Pragnaa in Sanskrit)! It is out of affection that I tell you all this! O Bharata, you are possessed of a hundred and one sons, but Paandu has only five. They are in a bad situation and passing their days in sorrow. How may they save their lives, how may they thrive such thoughts regarding the distressed Paarthaas (Paandavaas) continually disturb my heart! O king of the earth (Dhritarashtra), if you desire all the Kauravaas to live, let your son Duryodhana make peace with the Paandavaas!’”

No comments:

Post a Comment