Monday, April 2, 2018

14. THE ATTACK OF SHAALWA

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > ARJUNAABHIGAMANA PARVA > CHAPTER 14 - THE ATTACK OF SHAALWA


“Yudhishthira said, ‘O (Sri) Krishna, why were you absent (from the Aanartta country)? O descendant of the Vrishni race (Sri Krishna), while you were away, where did you stay? What did you do while out of your kingdom?’

(Sri) Krishna said, ‘O bull of the Bharata race (Yudhishthira), I had gone for the purpose of destroying the city of Shaalwa called Saubha (meaning chariot of precious metals). O foremost of the Kauravaas, listen to the reasons I had for so doing! The heroic (Veera in Sanskrit) son of Damaghosha, the well-known king Shishupaala of mighty arms and great energy (Maha Teja in Sanskrit), was slain by me, O best of Bharatas (Yudhishthira), at your Raajasooya yagna, because that wicked one (Duraatmaa in Sanskrit) could not from anger bear to see the first worship offered to me! Hearing that he had been slain, Shaalwa, burning with fierce anger, came to Dwaaraka, while, O Bharata (Yudhishthira), it was empty and myself being away, residing with you here (at Indraprasthaa). Having arrived there on a chariot made of precious metals and hence called the Saubha, he had an encounter with the youthful princes of the Vrishni race – those bulls of that line – and fought with them mercilessly.

“Slaughtering many youthful Vrishnis of heroic (Veera in Sanskrit) valour, the wicked one (Durmati in Sanskrit) devastated all the gardens of the city. O you of mighty arms (Yudhishthira), he said, ‘Where is that wretch of the Vrishni race (Vrishnikulaadhama in Sanskrit), Vaasudeva, the evil-souled (Mandaatmaa in Sanskrit) son of Vasudeva? I will humble in battle the pride of that person so eager for fight! Tell me truly, O Aanarttas! I will go there where he is. After killing that slayer of Kamsa and Keshi, I will return! By my weapon I swear (Satya in Sanskrit) that I will not return with out slaying him!’ Exclaiming repeatedly ‘Where is He?’ ‘Where is He?’ the lord of Saubha rushed to this place and that desirous of encountering me in battle.

“Shaalwa also said, ‘Driven by anger for the destruction of Shishupaala, I shall today send to the mansion of Yama (Yamaakshayam in Sanskrit) that traitorous criminal of mean mind?’ O king (Yudhisthira), he further said, ‘I shall slay that Janaardana (Sri Krishna), that he who is a wretch (Paapaswabhaavena in Sanskrit), has killed my brother who was but a boy of tender years, and who was slain not on the battlefield, as he was unprepared!’

“Having, O Maharaja (Yudhishthira), shouted thus, and having, O son of the Kuru race, abused me thus, he rose into the sky on Saubha that is capable of going anywhere at will! On returning (to my kingdom) I heard what, O Kaurava (Yudhishthira), the evil-minded (Durmati in Sanskrit) and wicked (Dushtaatmaa in Sanskrit) king of Maartika had said regarding myself! O descendant of the Kuru race (Yudhishthira), I was agitated with anger, and, O king, having thought upon everything, I set my heart upon slaying him (Shaalwa)! O Kauravya, learning of his oppression of the Aanarttas, of his abuse of myself, and of his excessive arrogance, I resolved upon the destruction of that wretch! O lord of earth (Yudhishthira), I accordingly set out (from my city), for slaying the (lord of) the Saubha. Searching him here and there, I found him in an island in the middle of the ocean! Then, O king (Yudhishthira), blowing my conch called the Paanchajanya obtained from the sea, and challenging Shaalwa to combat, I stood for the fight! At that instant, I had an encounter with numerous Daanavas, all of whom, however, I subdued and fell flat on the ground. O mighty-armed one, it was owing to this affair that I could not then come (to you)! As soon as I heard of the unfair game of dice at Haastinapura, I have come here desirous of seeing you who have been plunged in distress.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment