Thursday, February 8, 2018

DID DRAUPADI LAUGH?

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > SABHA PARVA > DYOOTA PARVA > CHAPTER 49 - DID DRAUPADI LAUGH?


“Janamejaya said, ‘O You foremost of all knowledgeable with the Vedas (Vaishampaayana), how did that game at dice (Dyoota in Sanskrit) take place, filled with such evil to the cousins and through which my Pitaamahas, the Paandavaas, were plunged into such sorrow? What kings also were present in that sabha, and who among them approved of the gambling match (Dyoota in Sanskrit) and who among them disallowed it? O sinless one, O chief of Dwijas (Vaishampaayana), I desire you to recite in detail all about this, which, indeed, was the cause of the destruction of the world.’

“Soota said, ‘Thus addressed by the king (Janamejaya), the disciple of Vyaasa (Vaishampaayana), filled with great energy and knowledgeable with the entire Vedas, narrated everything that had happened.’

“Vaishampaayana said, ‘O best of the Bharatas, O great king (Janamejaya), if you desire to hear, then listen to me as I narrate to you everything again in detail.’

“Ascertaining the opinion of Vidura, Dhritarashtra – the son of Ambika, calling Duryodhana told him again in private ‘O son of Gaandhaari, have nothing to do with dice (Dyoota in Sanskrit). Vidura does not speak well of it. Possessed of great wisdom, he will never give me advice that is not for my good. I also regard what Vidura says as exceedingly beneficial for me. O son (Duryodhana), do that as I regard it all as for your good also. Indeed, Vidura knows with all its mysteries the Shaastraas (of political Dharma) that the illustrious, learned and wise Brihaspati, the Devarishi who is the Guru of Vaasava (Lord Indra) had unfolded to the wise chief of the immortals. O son (Duryodhana), I always accept what Vidura advises. O king (Duryodhana), as the wise Uddhava is ever regarded among the Vrishnis, so is Vidura possessed of great intelligence esteemed as the foremost of the Kurus. Therefore, O son (Duryodhana), have nothing to do with dice. It is evident that dice sows disagreements. Disagreements are the ruin of the kingdom. Therefore, O son (Duryodhana), abandon this idea of gambling. O son (Duryodhana), you have obtained from us what, it has been directed that a father and a mother should give to their son – ancestral rank and possessions. You are educated and clever in every branch of knowledge and have been brought up with affection in your paternal dwelling. Born the eldest among all your brothers, living within your own kingdom, why do you regard yourself as unhappy? O you of mighty arms (Duryodhana), you obtain food and clothes of the very best kind and which is not obtainable by ordinary men. Why do you grieve yet, O son? O mighty-armed one (Duryodhana), ruling your large ancestral kingdom swelling with people and wealth, you shine as splendidly as the chief of Devas (Lord Indra) in heaven. You are possessed of wisdom. It is your duty to tell me what can be the root of this grief that has made you so sad.’

“Duryodhana replied, ‘I am a sinful wretch, O king (Dhritarashtra), because I eat and dress seeing (the prosperity of the enemies). It has been said that man is a wretch who is not filled with jealousy at the sight of his enemy’s prosperity. O noble one, this kind of prosperity of mine does not satisfy me. Seeing that blazing prosperity of the son of Kunti (Yudhishthira), I am very much pained. I tell you strong must be my life, in as much as I am living even at the sight of the whole earth owning the rule of Yudhishthira. The Nighnaas, the Chaitrakaas, the Kaukkuraas, the Kaaraskaraas, and the Loha-janghaas are living in the palace of Yudhishthira like bondsmen. The Himavat, the ocean, the regions on the sea-shore, and the numberless other regions that yield jewels and gems, have all acknowledged superiority of the sabha of Yudhishthira in respect of wealth it contains.

“O monarch (Dhritarashtra), regarding me as the eldest and entitled to respect, Yudhishthira having received me respectfully, appointed me in receiving the jewels and gems (that were brought as tribute). O Bharata (Dhritarashtra), the limit and the like of the excellent and invaluable gems that were brought there have not been seen. O king (Dhritarashtra), my hands were tired in receiving that wealth. When I was tired, they that brought those valuable articles from distant regions used to wait till I was able to resume my labour.

“Bringing jewels from the lake Bindu (possibly the village Bindu at Sikkim, India bordering Bhutan), the Asura architect Maya constructed (for the Paandavaas) a lake-like surface made of crystal. Seeing the (artificial) lotuses with which it was filled, I mistook it, O king (Dhritarashtra), for water. Seeing me draw up my clothes (while about to cross it), Vrikodara (Bhima) laughed at me, regarding me as wanting in jewels and having lost my head at the sight of the affluence of my enemy. If I had the ability, I would, O king (Dhritarashtra), without the loss of a moment, slay Vrikodara for that. But, O monarch (Dhritarashtra), if we attempt to slay Bhima now, without doubt, ours will be the fate of Shishupaala. O Bharata (Dhritarashtra), that insult by the enemy burns me.

“Once again, O king (Dhritarashtra), seeing a similar lake that is really full of water but which I mistook for a crystal surface, I fell into it. At that, Bhima with Arjuna once more laughed in a ridiculed manner, and Draupadi also accompanied by other females joined in the laughter. That pains my heart exceedingly. My clothes having been wet, the servants at the command of the king (Yudhishthira) gave me other clothes. That also is my great sorrow.


“O king (Dhritarashtra), hear now of another mistake that I speak of. In attempting to pass through what is exactly of the shape of a door but through which there was really no passage, I struck my forehead against stone and injured myself. The twins Nakula and Sahadeva seeing from a distance that I was so hit at the head came and supported me in their arms, expressing great concern for me. Sahadeva repeatedly told me, as if with a smile, ‘This, O king (Dhritarashtra), is the door. Go this way!’ Bhimasena, laughing aloud, addressed me and said, ‘O son of Dhritarashtra (Duryodhana), this is the door.’ O king (Dhritarashtra), I had not even heard of the names of those gems that I saw in that mansion (Pura in Sanskrit). It is for these reasons that my heart so pains.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment