Tuesday, March 20, 2018

5. VIDURA COUNSELS YUDHISHTHIRA

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > AARANYAKA PARVA > CHAPTER 5 - VIDURA COUNSELS YUDHISHTHIRA


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Desirous of living in the forest, those bulls of the Bharata race – the Paandavaas, with their followers, setting out from the banks of (River) Ganga went to the field of Kurukshetra. Performing their bathing in the Saraswati (river), the Drishadwati (river) and the Yamuna (river), they went from one forest to another, travelling in an westernly direction. At length they saw before them the Kamyaka forest, the favourite resort of Dwijas, situated by a level and wild plain on the banks of the Saraswati (river). In those woods, O Bharata (Janamejaya), abounding in birds and deer, those heroes (Veera in Sanskrit) began to stay, entertained and comforted by the Munis.

“Vidura always longing to see the Paandavaas, went in a single chariot to the Kaamyaka forest abounding in every good thing. Arriving at Kaamyaka on a chariot drawn by swift horses, he saw Dharmaraja Yudhishthira, sitting with Draupadi at a retired spot, surrounded by his brothers and the Brahmanas. Seeing Vidura approach from a distance with swift steps, the Dharmaraja addressed brother Bhimasena, saying, ‘With what message does Kshatta (Vidura) come to us? Does he come here, despatched by Shakuni, to invite us again to a game of dice? Does the little-minded Shakuni intend to win again our weapons at dice? O Bhimasena, challenged by any one addressing me – ‘Come’ – I am unable to stay. If our possession of the Gaandiva becomes doubtful, will not the acquisition of our kingdom also be so.’

“Vaishampaayana said, ‘O king (Janamejaya), the Paandavaas then rose up and welcomed Vidura. Received by them, that descendant of the Ajameeda line (Vidura) sat in their middle and made the usual enquiries. After Vidura had rested awhile, those bulls among men (Paandavaas) asked him the reason of his coming. Vidura began to narrate to them in detail everything connected with the bearing of Dhritarashtra – the son of Ambika.’

“Vidura said, ‘O Ajaatashatru, Dhritarashtra called me, his dependant, before him and honouring me duly said, ‘Things have fared thus. Now, you do tell me what is good for the Paandavaas as well as for me.’ I pointed out what was beneficial to both the Kauravaas and Dhritarashtra. But what I said was not delighted by him, nor could I hit upon any other path. What I advised was, O Paandavaas, highly beneficial, but the son of Ambika (Dhritarashtra) heard me not. As medicine does not recommends itself to one that is ill, so my words failed to please the king. O you without an enemy, as all unchaste wife in the family of a man of pure descent cannot be brought back to the path of Dharma, so I failed to bring Dhritarashtra back. Indeed, as a young lady does not like a husband of three digits, so Dhritarashtra did not like my words. Surely, destruction will overtake the Kuru race, surely Dhritarashtra will never acquire good fortune. For, as water dropped on a lotus-leaf does not remain there, my counsels will fail to produce any effect to Dhritarashtra. The angry Dhritarashtra told me, O Bharata (Yudhishthira), ‘you go there where you like. Never more shall I seek your aid in ruling the earth or my capital.’

“O best of monarchs (Yudhishthira), forsaken by king Dhritarashtra, I come to you for offering good counsel. What I had said in the middle of the sabha, I will now repeat to you. Listen and bear my words in mind, ‘That wise man who bearing all the gross wrong heaped upon him by his enemies, patiently waits for his time, and multiplies his resources, as men by degrees turn a small fire into a large one, alone rules this entire earth. He that (in prosperity) enjoys his substance with his followers finds in them sharers of his adversity – this is the best means of securing followers, and it is said that he that has followers, wins the sovereignty of the world! O Paandavaa (Yudhishthira), divide your prosperity with your followers, behave truthfully towards them, and converse with them agreeably! Also, share your food with them! Never boast yourself in their presence! This behaviour increases the prosperity of kings!

“Yudhishthira said, ‘Having recourse to such high intelligence (Buddhi in Sanskrit), undisturbed by passion, I will do as you counsel! Whatever else you may counsel in respect of time and place, I will carefully follow entirely.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment