Wednesday, March 21, 2018

6. DHRITARASHTRA RECONCILES WITH VIDURA

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > AARANYAKA PARVA > CHAPTER 6 - DHRITARASHTRA RECONCILES WITH VIDURA


“Vaishampaayana said, ‘O king (Janamejaya), after Vidura had gone to the abode of Paandavaas, Dhritarashtra, O Bharata (Janamejaya), of profound wisdom (Maha Praagna in Sanskrit), repented of his action. Thinking of the great intelligence of Vidura in matters connected with both war and peace, and also of the increase of power of the Paandavaas in the future, Dhritarashtra, pained at the recollection of Vidura, having approached the door of the hall of sabha fell down senseless in the presence of the monarchs (in waiting). Regaining consciousness, the king (Dhritarashtra) rose from the ground and thus addressed Sanjaya standing by, ‘My brother and friend is like Dharma(deva) himself! Recollecting him today, my heart burns in grief! Go, bring to me without delay my brother well-versed in morality!’

“Saying this, the monarch (Dhritarashtra) wept bitterly. Burning in regret, and overwhelmed with sorrow at the recollection of Vidura, the king (Dhritarashtra), from brotherly affection, again addressed Sanjaya saying, ‘O Sanjaya, you go and discover whether my brother, expelled by my wretched (Paapena in Sanskrit) self through anger, lives still! That wise brother of mine of immeasurable intelligence has never been guilty of even the slightest offence, but, on the other hand, it is he who has come by serious wrong at my hands! Seek him, O wise one (Sanjaya), and bring him here; else, O Sanjaya, I will lay down my life!’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Hearing these words of the king (Dhritarashtra), Sanjaya expressed his approval, and saying ‘So be it,’ went in the direction of the Kaamyaka forest. Arriving without loss of time at the forest where the Paandavaas stayed, he saw Yudhishthira dressed in deer-skin, seated with Vidura, in the middle of Brahmanas by thousands and guarded by his brothers, like Purandara (Lord Indra) in the middle of Devas! Approaching Yudhishthira, Sanjaya worshipped him duly and was received with due respect by Bhima and Arjuna and the twins (Nakula and Sahadeva). Yudhishthira made the usual enquiries about his welfare and when he had been seated at his ease, he (Sanjaya) disclosed the reason of his visit, in these words, ‘King Dhritarashtra – the son of Ambika, has, O Kshatta (Vidura)! remembered you! Returning to him without loss of time, you do revive the king! O you best of men (Vidura), with the permission of these Kuru princes – these foremost of men (Paandavaas) – it is your duty, at the command of that lion among kings, to return to him!’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Thus addressed by Sanjaya, the intelligent Vidura, ever attached to his relatives, with the permission of Yudhishthira returned to the city named after the elephant. After he had approached the king, Dhritarashtra of great energy, the son of Ambika, addressed him, saying, ‘From my good luck alone, O Vidura, you, O sinless one, of knowledge with Dharma, have come here remembering me! O you bull of the Bharata race (Vidura), in thy absence I was seeing myself, sleepless through the day and the night, as one that has been lost on earth!’

“The king then took Vidura on his lap and smelt his head, and said, ‘Forgive me, O sinless one, the words in which you were addressed by me!’

“Vidura said, ‘O king (Dhritarashtra), I have forgiven you. You are my superior, worthy of the highest respect! Here am I, having come back, eagerly wishing to see you! All men of Dharma, O tiger among men (Dhritarashtra), are (instinctively) partial towards those that are distressed! This, O king (Dhritarashtra), is scarcely the result of thought! (My partiality to Paandavaas comes from this cause)! O Bharata (Dhritarashtra), your sons are as dear to me as Paandavaas, but as the latter are now in distress, my heart yearns after them!’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Addressing each other thus in apologetic speeches, the two illustrious brothers – Vidura and Dhritarashtra – felt themselves greatly happy!’”

No comments:

Post a Comment