Thursday, March 1, 2018

BHISHMA'S RESPONSE TO DRAUPADI

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > SABHA PARVA > DYOOTA PARVA > CHAPTER 68 - BHISHMAS RESPONSE TO DRAUPADI


“Draupadi said, ‘Wait a little, O worst of men, you wicked-minded Duhshaasana. I have an act to perform – a high duty that has not been performed by me yet. Dragged forcibly by this wretch’s strong arms, I was deprived of my senses. I salute these Gurus in this assembly of the Kurus. That I could not do this before cannot be my fault.’

“Vaishampaayana said, ‘Dragged with greater force than before, the pained and helpless Draupadi, undeserving of such treatment, falling down upon the ground, thus wept in that sabha of the Kurus –

‘Alas, only once before, on the occasion of the Swayamvara, I was seen by the assembled kings in the sabha, and never even once beheld afterwards. I am today brought before this sabha. She, whom even Vaayu and Surya had seen never before in her palace is today before this sabha and exposed to the view of the crowd. Alas, she whom the Paandavaas could not, while in her palace, tolerate to be touched even by the wind, is today tolerated by the Paandavaas to be seized and dragged by this wretch (Duhshaasana). Alas, these Kauravaas also tolerate their daughter-in-law, so unworthy of such treatment, to be thus pained before them. It seems that the times are out of joint. What can be more distressing to me, than that though high-born (Shubhaa in Sanskrit) and chaste (Satee in Sanskrit), I should yet be compelled to enter this sabha? Where is that Dharma for which these kings were noted? It has been heard that the kings of ancient days never brought their wedded wives into the sabha. Alas, that eternal Dharma has disappeared from among the Kauravaas. Else, how is it that the chaste wife (Satee in Sanskrit) of the Paandavaas, the sister of Prishata’s son, the friend of Vaasudeva (Sri Krishna), is brought before this sabha? O Kauravas, I am the wedded wife of Dharmaraja Yudhishthira, hailing from the same dynasty to which the King belonged. Tell me now if I am a serving-maid or otherwise. I will cheerfully accept your answer. This mean wretch (Duhshaasana), this destroyer of the name of the Kurus, is paining me hard. O Kauravaas, I cannot bear it any longer. O kings, I desire you to answer whether you regard me as won or unwon. I will accept your verdict whatever it be.’

“Hearing these words, Bhishma answered, ‘I have already said, O blessed one that the path of Dharma is subtle. Even the illustrious wise in this world fail to understand it always. What in this world a strong man calls Dharma is regarded as such by others, even though it may really be otherwise; but what a weak man calls Dharma is scarcely regarded as such even though it be the highest Dharma. From the importance of the issue involved, from its intricacy and subtlety, I am unable to answer with certainty the question you have asked. However, it is certain that as all the Kurus have become the slaves of greed and foolishness, the destruction of this our race will happen on no distant date. O blessed one (Draupadi), the family (Kula in Sanskrit) into which you have been admitted as a daughter-in-law (Kalyaani in Sanskrit), is such that those who are born in it, however much they might be afflicted by calamities, never deviate from the paths of Dharma. O Paanchaali, this conduct of your also, viz. that though sunk in distress, you still fix your eyes on Dharma, is assuredly worthy of you. These persons, Drona and others, of mature years and knowledgeable with Dharma, sit heads downwards like men that are dead, with bodies from which life has departed. It seems to me, however, that Yudhishthira is an authority on this question. It is his responsibility to declare whether you are won or not won.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment