Monday, September 24, 2018

61. NALA WAS MADE NUDE

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > NALOPAAKHYAANA PARVA > CHAPTER 61 - NALA WAS MADE NUDE

Summary: Nala loses everything in the game of dice and proceeded to the forest; Nala and Damayanti both suffer hunger; Nala looses his garment; Nala shows Damayanti the way to the southern country; Damayanti refuses.


“Brihadaswa said, ‘After Vaarshneya had gone away, Pushkara won from the Dharmic Nala that latter’s kingdom and what else of wealth he had. To Nala, O king, who had lost his kingdom, Pushkara laughingly said, ‘Let the play go on. But what stake you have now? Damayanti only remains; all else of yours has been won by me. Well, if you like, that Damayanti be our stake now.’ Hearing these words of Pushkara the virtuous king (Nala) felt as if his heart would burst in anger, but he spoke not a word. Gazing at Pushkara in anguish, king Nala of great fame took all the ornaments off every part of his body. Attired in a single piece of cloth, his body uncovered, renouncing all his wealth, and enhancing the grief of friends, the king (Nala) set out. Damayanti, dressed in one piece of cloth, followed him behind as he was leaving the city. Coming to the outskirts of the city, Nala stayed there for three nights with his wife.

“But Pushkara, O Maharaja (Yudhishthira), proclaimed through the city that he that should show any attention to Nala, would be doomed to death. On account of these words of Pushkara and knowing his enemity towards Nala, the citizens, O Paurava (Yudhishthira), no longer showed him hospitable regards. Unregarded though deserving of hospitable regards, Nala passed three nights in the outskirts of the city, living on water alone. Pained with hunger, the king went away in search of fruit and roots, Damayanti following him behind. In agony of famine, after many days, Nala saw some birds with feathers of golden colour. Immediately the mighty lord of the Nishadhas (Nala) thought within himself, ‘These will be my food today and also my wealth.’ Then he covered them with the cloth he had on – when bearing up that garment of his, the birds rose up to the sky. Seeing Nala nude and sad, and standing with face turned towards the ground, those travellers of the sky (birds) addressed him, saying, ‘O you of small sense (Durbuddhi in Sanskrit), we are those dice. We had come here wishing to take away your cloth, for it pleased us not that you should depart even with your cloth on.’

“Finding himself deprived of his attire, and knowing also that the dice were departing (with it), the Dharmic Nala, O king (Yudhishthira), thus spoke to Damayanti, ‘O faultless one, they through whose anger I have been despoiled of my kingdom, they through whose influence distressed and pained with hunger, I am unable to procure livelihood, they for whom the Nishadhas offered me not any hospitality, they, O friendly one, are carrying off my cloth, assuming the form of birds. Fallen into this terrible disaster, I am pained with grief and deprived of my senses, I am your lord, you do, therefore, listen to the words I speak for your good. These many roads lead to the southern country, passing by (the city of) Avanti and the Rikshavat mountains. This is that mighty mountain called Vindhya (present-day Vindhya mountain range in Madhya Pradesh, India); At a distance, the river Payoshini (present-day Purna river, one of the chief tributaries of Tapti river) running sea-wards, and at a distance are the ashrama of Maharishis, furnished with various fruit and roots. This road leads to the country of the Vidarbhas – and that, to the country of the Kosalas. Beyond these roads to the south is the southern country.’

“Addressing Bhima’s daughter, O Bharata (Yudhishthira), he distressed king Nala spoke those words to Damayanti over and over again. Immediately pained with grief, in a voice choked with tears, Damayanti spoke to Naishadha (Nala) these piteous words, ‘O Maharaja (Nala), thinking of yours purpose, my heart trembles, and all my bodyparts become faint. How can I go, leaving you in the lone forest despoiled of your kingdom and deprived of your wealth, yourself without a garment on, and worn with hunger and toil? When in the deep forest, tired and pained with hunger, you think of your former enjoyment, I will, O great monarch, soothe your tiredness. In every sorrow there is no medicine equal to the wife, say the physicians. It is the truth, O Nala, that I speak to you.’

“Hearing those words of his queen, Nala replied, ‘O slender-waisted Damayanti, it is as you have said. To a man in distress, there is no friend or medicine that is equal to a wife. But I do not seek to renounce you, for what reason, O one who afraid, do you dread this? O faultless one, I can forsake myself but you I cannot forsake.’

“Damayanti then said, ‘If you do not, O Maharaja, intend to forsake me, why then do you point out to me the way to the country of the Vidarbhas? I know, O king, that you would not desert me. But, O lord of the earth, considering that your mind is distracted, you may desert me. O best of men, you repeatedly point out to me the way and it is by this, O one like Deva, that you enhance my grief. If it is your intention that I should go to my relatives, then if it pleases you, both of us will walk to the country of the Vidarbhas. O giver of honours, there the king of the Vidarbhas
(Bhima) will receive you with respect. Honoured by him, O king, you shall live happily in our home.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment