Wednesday, May 9, 2018

46(B). URVASHI CURSES ARJUNA

SRIMAD MAHABHARATA > AARANYA PARVA > INDRALOKA GAMANA PARVA > CHAPTER 46(B) - URVASHI CURSES ARJUNA


“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘While in heaven, hearing her (Urvashi) speak in this sound, Arjuna was overcome with shyness. Shutting his ears with his hands, he said, ‘O blessed lady, shame on my sense of hearing, when you speak thus to me. For, O you of beautiful face, you are certainly equal in my estimation to the wife of a superior (Guru Daarai in Sanskrit). I have cherished it for ever as Kunti of high fortune or Shachi the queen of (Lord) Indra, you are to me, O auspicious one (Kalyaani in Sanskrit), of this there is no doubt! That I had gazed particularly at you, O blessed one, is true. There was a reason for it. I shall truly tell it to you, O you of luminous smiles! In the assembly I gazed at you with eyes expanded in delight, thinking, ‘This blooming lady is the mother of the Paurava race.’ O blessed Apsara, it is your duty not to entertain other feelings towards me, for you are superior (Guru in Sanskrit) to my superiors (Guru in Sanskrit), being the parent of my race (Vamshavardhini in Sanskrit).’

“Hearing these words of Arjuna, Urvashi answered, saying, ‘O son of Devaraja (Lord Indra), we Apsaras are free and unconfined in our choice. It is your duty not, therefore, to esteem me as your Guru. The sons and grandsons of Puru’s race, that have come here in consequence of Tapas do all sport with us, without incurring any sin. Yield, therefore, O hero, it is your duty not to send me away. I am burning with desire (Ichcha in Sanskrit). I am devoted to you. Accept me, O you giver of proper respect.’

“Arjuna replied, ‘O beautiful lady of features perfectly faultless, listen. I truly tell you. Let the four directions (Disha in Sanskrit) and the transverse directions (Vidisha in Sanskrit), let also the Devas listen. O sinless one, as Kunti, or Maadri, or Shachi, is to me, so are you, the parent of my race (Vamshajanani in Sanskrit), an object of worship to me. Return, O you of the fairest complexion: I bend my head to you and prostrate myself at your feet. You deserve my worship as my own mother; and it is your duty to protect me as a son.’

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Thus addressed by Paarthaa (Arjuna), Urvashi was deprived of her senses by anger. Trembling with anger, contracting her eyebrows, she cursed Arjuna, saying, ‘Since you disregard a woman come to your mansion (Gruha in Sanskrit) at the command of your father and of her own will – a woman, besides, who is pierced by the arrows of Kaamaa, therefore, O Paarthaa (Arjuna), you shall have to pass your time among females unregarded, as a dancer, devoid of manhood and treated as a eunuch (Shandavad in Sanskrit).

“Vaishampaayana continued, ‘Having cursed Arjuna thus, Urvashi’s lips still trembled in anger, herself breathing heavily all the while. She soon returned to her own abode. That slayer of enemies, Arjuna also sought Chitrasena without loss of time. Having found him, he told him all that had happened between him and Urvashi in the night. He told Chitrasena everything as it had happened, repeatedly referring to the curse pronounced upon him. Chitrasena also represented everything to Shakra (Lord Indra). Harivaahana (Lord Indra), calling His son to Himself in private, and consoling him in sweet words, smilingly said, ‘O you best of beings, having obtained you, O child, Pritha (Kunti) has today become a truly blessed mother. O mighty-armed one, you have now defeated even Rishis by the patience and self-control. But, O giver of proper respect, the curse that Urvashi has denounced on you will be to your benefit, O child, and you stand in good place. O sinless one, you will have on earth to pass the thirteenth year (of your exile), unknown to all. It is then that you shall suffer the curse of Urvashi. Having passed one year as a dancer without manhood, you shall regain your power on the expiration of the term.’

“Thus addressed by Shakra (Lord Indra), that slayer of hostile heroes, Phaalguna, experienced great delight and stopped to think of the curse. Dhananjaya, the Paandavaa, sported in regions of heaven with the Gandharva Chitrasena of great celebrity.’

The desires of the man that listens to this history of the Paandavaa (Arjuna) never run after lustful (Kaamaa in Sanskrit) ends. The foremost of men, by listening to this account of the awfully pure conduct of Phaalguna, the son of the lord of Devas, become void of pride, arrogance, anger and other faults, and ascending to heaven, sport there in joy.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment